29km away from the
city center of Guiyang, in the south of the city, Qingyan is one
of the four old towns in Guiyang. A frontier garrison built in the
Ming dynasty(1368-1644), the town retains its original design of
outer and inner cities, each with magnificent city walls, watch
towers and battlements. Within the town, well-preserved stone-slab
lanes and stone archways testify to its past glory.
To enforce the imperial
court's administration in the southwestern border area, a post station
was set up in Qingyan in 1373, followed by the establishment of
a garrison. In 1381, an army of 300,000 men was sent to today's
Yunnan and Guizhou. Those assigned to Qingyan built their first
earthen fortress, indicating the emergence of Qingyan town. In later
warring years, the local residents all moved into the fortress for
safety, and helped strengthen the town's defence with massive mason
works, leaving Qingyan a rich legacy and numerous Ming and Qing
dynasty cultural relics.
It would be no exaggeration
to say Qingyan " a stone town". Almost everything is made
of stone-houses, walls, roads, archways, stoves and other utilities.Dwellings
lining the stone-paved lanes are built with distinguished doors. Decorated
with Guizhou-flavour New Year paintings.In this small town,Western
cultural influences have blended with Chinese civilisation, while
Catholic and Christian churches co-exist with Buddhist and Taoist
Among its 37 tourist attractions are nine monasteries, eight temples,
five towers, three caves, two halls, one palace and an academy.
Its three view of the ancient town, its temples and churches, brought
to life by children leading their buffaloes and women with shoulder
poles carrying their vegetables aolng the stone-slab roads, all
these makes the town a mysterious destination.